Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Pretty Young Thing

July is the month where I take stock of where I am, and where I want to be. It is the month of my birth, and as simple as it my seem, it is my favorite month; a month filled with love, growth, and hope. It has and always will be this for me.
This year seems especially important. I will be thirty five. I feel like I am exactly where I should be with most things, but I never fail to dream on an almost hourly basis. This does not seem to ring true for most that are my age.
Also, I feel like the last couple weeks could not have happened at a better time, even though what has occurred is quite bittersweet.
Although there is plenty of eye-rolling and negativity out there, I will never falter when it comes to recognizing the important roles people have played in my life, and how profound it was for my mother to tell me (from an age that most don't remember) that I should always treat people the way I wanted to be treated, and that everyone deserves love. With this, I can honestly say, Michael Jackson still makes me feel the way he did when I first received 'Thriller'. He made me love music, he made me love dance, and most importantly, he made me fall in love for the first time. I remember how sweetly my parents listened to me plan my wedding with him, and without ever skipping a beat, my mom told me it could happen.
I was raised by two incredibly strong people, people that taught me to walk in the footsteps of others, people that are filled with love, passion, and most importantly, compassion. Between the two of them, the only time I heard anything even remotely negative was when someone outright wronged me, my brother, or sister(understandable).
I think it is sad when people can't see magic, and can't appreciate someone or something for all that it is, whether that is in ugliness or beauty. And for this, I can honestly say I was the most blessed person for being born to my mom and dad. And, I am not embarrassed to mourn; mourn not only a major force behind all that I love in popular culture, but also mourn that I too will one day pass, and hope that I somehow left a positive impact on those that I was fortunate enough to know. This mound of tear soaked tissues is proof of my love.

No comments: